Or How I learned to do a Science Fair Poster
A while back a good friend, Molly, known as Dreda in the SCA asked me what I thought of an idea of hers. It involved a sharing research, presentations, poster boards at an event, and add that no one was to wear garb. Was I interested in this type of event, and also, did I know any good places. I looked into one that I had access to, but it didn't pan out, told Dreda I thought it was a super idea and told her to let me know if I could help.
She RAN with the idea. Boy, did she run. And it was fabulous.
I decided that perhaps I could put together a poster on the whole paintbrush thingee that I have been working on for some time. I had this blog that had a lot of material, updates and pictures, so it would be bringing these things together. I purchased the tri-fold board to MAKE myself do this. Once I had purchased it, I couldn't back out was my thought.
I ended up doing the layout and then sending the editing to my good friend Lillia. This worked out really well. The first picture you see below is my first draft. I put the presentation together on a word document and kept moving things around, reprinting in portrait and landscape until I was able to be happy with the presentation.
Taking pictures during the process helped me to make creative decisions on how the content should be presented. Once I did the first layout, I realized that I definitely needed color and I needed to separate the text more so that it flowed easily.
So the last week prior to the event, I put together the presentation, added some color, went through 3, count 'em, 3 glue sticks. I was even done two days ahead of schedule.
I went to the event on Saturday and I talked about my stuff, attended some presentations and helped Dreda as I could in making the event go. I am not a true geek, I did not attend many presentations, because I can take or leave some research, some stuff is just not in my interest set, and I have the attention span of a gnat. My being a teacher also makes it difficult to attend while others are teaching, as I can be hyper critical of teaching styles and well, that just wasn't the point.
So, for those of you playing along, pictures of my project presentation and the event.
"Recreating a 16th Century Paintbrush."
People did come up and try the brushes, not a lot but some. I think, similar to me, there are people who have an interest in the subject, and others for whom this is not interesting. We were only required to be at the poster for an hour during the lunch time, in addition, I was by it most of the morning, and for smaller time periods in the afternoon. Most people wanted to know what my next steps, what other type of brush material I was going to use, whether I have painted a painting with it. I think I would like to do a small piece, but I not sure how good the brushes will hold up to the wear and tear of actually working with them daily. Guess I might find out. One person did bring me a little container with hog's hair in it, which I have been up until now unable to get, so there will definitely be a brush with that. I also have a whole bunch of chicken feathers that could come in handy sent to me by another dear friend who likes to aid and abet.
But for now, some rest.